Editor's ChoiceFox Racing Kids Dirt Bike Gear
Premium PickAlpinestars Dirt Bike Gear for Kids
Best ValueFly Racing Dirt Bike Gear for Kids
If your children are showing an interest in dirt bikes, motocross, ATV, or enduro riding, then this Motocross Advice feature is just what you need. We have scoured the internet to find the best kids dirt bike gear available.
There is never a more exciting time than getting your first set of kids dirt bike gear. We have all enjoyed getting our first helmet, and then wearing it around the house regularly. The colour and design of your first gear set are no doubt burned into your memory. Motocross riders most treasured memories are very often linked to the excitement of those early days, stumbling around in stiff, new smelling boots.
One of the gifts of having children is experiencing all of that excitement again. The following article will take you through the best starter gear for your pee-wee or junior dirt bike riders. We have pulled together a choice of five manufacturers. Where possible we are featuring
- Youth Dirt Bike Helmets (full price range)
- Kids Dirt bike gear sets (Best value)
- Kids Motocross boots (Best value)
We have made sure the gear reviewed is up to the same exacting standards we would require for our own equipment. Each product has been selected with price and quality in mind. We have avoided cheap import products that could put your child in danger.
Welcome to the ultimate guide to Kids Dirt Bike Gear 2022.
Fly Racing Dirt Bike Gear for Kids
Fly Racing has been developing its product ranges since 1998. In the last twenty years, the brand has become a significant player in the extreme sports industry. With a hand in all of the leading extreme sports disciplines, the Fly mantra is quality and performance, combined with outstanding value. Fly Racings R&D team has developed products for motocross, snow, water, BMX and mountain biking. This broad range of expertise has helped deliver a stunning catalogue of youth dirt bike gear which will keep your juniors protected as they develop their craft.
Fly Racing Dirt Bike Helmets – Junior
The Fly Racing junior motocross helmet range is made up of three products. They start at under $100 and are built with the same care and attention as the adult range.
Fly Racing Kinetic Junior
The kinetic is the budget end of the Fly Racing Helmet catalogue. The Kinetic has a lightweight polymer shell construction. Like it’s adult counterpart the Kinetic Junior has a multi-density EPS layer designed to disperse the forces of a direct impact, reducing concussion.
For the money, the Kinetic is the perfect choice for a first tie helmet. You can protect your junior with a quality helmet, that won’t break the bank.
- Custom moulded nose guard
- Removable liner with anti-microbial cheek pads
- Trademarked Fly True Functional Ventilation ™ for enhanced airflow
- Replaceable mouth filter
sizes: Youth Small/Youth Medium/Youth Large spanning 47cm to 52cm
Safety Certification: Exceeds DOT
Youth Toxin Embargo
The Fly Racing Youth Toxin helmet is a significant step up from the Kinetic in both features and quality. The Toxin is designed with the entry-level competition rider in mind, and so would likely be an excellent choice for any junior looking to upgrade their first helmet for their first competition.
As well as ventilation upgrades, the Toxin Embargo has features designed to make the product last longer under harder riding conditions. As your junior rider grows, they may well require more fine-tuning on the fit. Fly Racing tackle the issue of consistent fit by the introduction of four sizes of EPS liner, in addition to the three outer shells.
Fly Racing Toxin Embargo Features
- Integrated nose guard with roost protection
- Stainless steel rivets and D-rings for longevity
- Lightweight Aluminium visor screws
- Enhanced 13-intake, 6 exhaust port venting system
- Wicking cheek pads for comfort
- Removable and washable liner
Sizes: Shell; Youth Small/Youth Medium/Youth Large spanning 47cm to 52cm
Safety Certification: DOT FMVSS 218 and ECE 22.05
Fly Racing Junior Formula Helmet
The junior Formula helmet delivers the same exacting standards as the industry-leading adult version. This might seem like an expensive helmet for junior motocross. For outstanding performance at the sharp end of competitive motocross, the Formula is a no-compromise choice. The junior version has precisely the same high tech features and components as the adult version. Premium carbon fibre construction is married to the very latest in helmet safety technologies.
If high-end materials and outstanding performance are what you are looking for, then look no further.
Only available in one size, Youth Large (50cm to 52cm).
- High end 12k Carbon fibre
- Conehead ™ EPS Technology for advanced progressive shock absorption
- Expanded volume EPS in key safety zones
- Clavicle soft zone to reduce clavicle impact injuries
- Titanium alloy D-rings
- Aluminium Visor screws
Sizes: Youth Large (50cm to 52cm)
Safety Certification: DOT and ECE approved
Fly Racing Kids Dirt Bike Gear Sets-Entry Level
Kinetic is the entry-level gear set for Fly Racing. While not the cheapest entry-level product on the market, the Kinetic gear sets offer outstanding performance out of the starting gate and can provide protection and comfort for both beginners and junior competitors.
Kinetic Junior Motocross Gear Features
Kinetic Youth Motocross Pants
- Mesh liner breathable comfort
- Multi-Directional stretch fabric
- 600D polyester for longevity
- Pre-shaped knee and protection zones
- Adjustable waist belt (Pants)
Kinetic Youth Motocross Jersey
- Multiple panel constructions to allow freedom of movement
- Comfort Stretch Collar
- Extended tails for comfort
- Standard Fit for those who prefer a classic cut
Kinetic Youth Glove
- Reinforced double layer and palm
- Split Knuckle fingers with ventilation gusset
- Adjustable wrist closure
- Silicone finger grips.
Fly Racing Youth Motocross Boot-Maverik
- Protective plastic for inner ankle, with articulated design
- 3D shift plate on the right foot for grip and durability
- Real leather heat shields
- Hard-wearing metal toe guards
- Elastic gaiter to prevent ingress
- Adjustable quick lock buckles
Fox Racing Kids Dirt Bike Gear
For our next range of kids are back with one of the Motocross Advice Team favourites Fox Racing. Fox Racing has maintained pole position on the shopping list of dirt bike riders of all ages. If your junior rider has spent any time studying videos, magazines, or riders at your local track, they will no doubt be aware of Fox.
Let’s have a look at the 2022 youth dirt bike gear offerings from the giants of motocross.
Fox Racing Dirt Bike Helmets – Junior
Fox Racing V1 Junior
Advanced safety features such as the proprietary MVRS™ system are trickled down to the junior version of this popular model. With low-speed tumbles and knocks a part of the learning process, the magnetic release visor will save time and money in replacement screws. Airflow and safety standards exceed most junior budget helmets.
Fox Racing V1 Youth Features:
- Polycarbonate/ABS shell for durability
- Removable and washable inner lining
- 9 Intakes and 4 exhausts for improved airflow
- Youth Small (46.9cm -48.3cm)
- Youth Medium (48.9cm-50.2cm)
- Youth Large (50.8cm to 52.1cm)
Safety Certification: Exceeds ECE 22.05 and/or DOT certifications
Fox Racing V2 Junior
Fox has chosen to top off the junior motocross helmet range with the V2 model. This is an interesting choice as Fly Racing has opted to go up as far as a carbon model. Whether the market will demand a junior V3 at some point remains to be seen. For now, the V2 brings a sizeable leap in features and performance.
A dual-density liner and dual composite shell provide the basis for a competitive level helmet which sits at a comfortable price point for beginners and racers alike. We were particularly pleased to see the inclusion of the hi-tech Fluid Inside ™ feature on a junior model. This technical shock absorption layer works with the EPS to dissipate force and substantially reduce rotational movement in the event of a crash.
All of the exclusive safety features from the adult V2 are fed into the V2 junior.
Learn more about buying the right dirt bike helmet for your kid.
- Magnetic Visor release
- Varizorb™ EPS liner
- Fluid Inside™
- EPP/PU Chin bar construction to improve impact management
- Hi-tech XT2R anti-microbial liner system (Removable and washable)
- Youth Small (46.9cm -48.3cm)
- Youth Medium (48.9cm-50.2cm)
- Youth Large (50.8cm to 52.1cm)
Safety Certification: Exceeds ECE 22.05 and/or DOT certifications
Fox Racing Junior Gear Sets-Entry Level
The Fox 180 range is a well designed, comfortable to wear and seriously good looking entry-level range. Combining modern performance materials with thoughtful design features, 180 provides any junior with a healthy start to their dirt bike riding experience.
Fox 180 Kids Dirt Bike Pants
Any Fox Racing fan will tell you that brand offers a no-compromise approach to their gear. Fox 180 Junior Pants utilise RAP (rider attack position) shaping. Make sure your junior starts the way they should, with these high-performance products. 600D polyester, stretch panels and generous heat protection panels ensure that the pants will continue to perform as a young rider’s skills grow.
- Heavy-duty panels in high wear zones
- Trumotion™ intelligent design for mobility
- Hip pads
Fox 180 Kids Dirt Bike Jerseys
The 180 jersey range offers a classic design, loose fit look. Wicking fabric helps to keep junior riders fresh, whether they out busting the trails in the summer heat, or building up a sweat on their first starting grid.
Ventilated side panels help to regulate body temperature, and lightweight cuffs avoid tug when riding. The extended tails make sure everything stays tucked in tight.
- Vented panelling
- Mesh collar and sleeves
- Mix and match styling to suit other Fox Racing ranges.
Fox Dirt Paw Gloves
Again, Fox Racing makes a tactical decision in streamlining their junior motocross range to just one model. The Dirt Paw is a popular choice with adult riders and sits smack in the middle of the dirt bike glove pricing points. This is a smart move by Fox. The Dirt paw offers ample protection for either a novice or competitive rider. These gloves are specifically designed to sit alongside the 180 products.
The Dirt Paw glove will give junior riders both confidence and feel. The design allows the bike to feedback all the essential information they will need to control a dirt bike.
- Clarino™ single layer palm
- Mesh finger panels for flexibility
- Silicone fingertip grips for improved lever control
- Hook and loop wrist closure
Fox Racing Youth Motocross Boot-Comp Range
Just like the adult range, Fox has made sure your budding dirt bikers can pick a boot that suits their style. The Fox Comp Junior range has a model for Enduro/Trail, Motocross, and a miniature Pee-Wee that looks just like the one’s mum or dad wears.
We love that Fox has kept a full range of the boot. Different riding styles demand various features. Being a primary point of contact makes the dirt bike boot an essential component in the learning process.
Fox Youth Comp features:
- Youth fit sizes
- High Density outer sole
- Internal steel shank for improved stability
Fox Youth Comp 5 Features:
For all-day comfort and trail protection, the Comp 5 Junior has the same extended leg and buckle system that the adults get.
In addition to the standard comp materials the Comp 5 junior offers:
- Soft-touch, straightforward closure aluminium buckles
- Plastic shin plate
- Plastic medial guard
Fox Comp Kids (Pee Wee)
This natty little two buckle boot has all the hallmarks of the adult instinct. Stubby leg design and internal lace system ensure absolute comfort for your little champ. Safety features are high, with TPU plate and calf guard.
- New design rubber outsole
- Top gaiter for comfort and ingress prevention
- Easy to use buckles
- Intelligent removable sole design to extend growth potential
Alpinestars Dirt Bike Gear for Kids
Alpinestars have opted out of the Junior dirt bike helmet race altogether. Despite this, the famous racing brand still has something to say when it comes to those throwing their leg over a dirt bike for the first time. The Alpinestar range is one of the few that has a full range of armour. (We will cover youth armour in another article).
There are budget and high-end junior gear sets in the Alpinestars product range. In keeping with the theme of starter gear, we have chosen to feature the affordable Braap range here.
Alpinestars Junior Braap Gear Sets
The Braap range offers another superb value for money gear set for the new junior rider. Comfort and safety are the key design factors of the Braap products.
Alpinestars Junior Braap Pants:
Alpinestars have a solid reputation for producing industry-leading racewear across many track disciplines. When it comes to junior motocross, the Braap products are no exception. Braap pants are hi-tech and contemporary. They feature pre-shaped leg profiling, stretch panels, built-in padding and reinforced section for durability.
- Poly-coated nylon construction for added strength
- Seat abrasion panels
- Rear inserts for lower back movement
- Specially designed for youth fit
- Ratchet closure for a personal fit
- Heat, grip and resistance panels on inner leg
Alpinestars Junior Braap Jersey:
The Braap jersey is an advanced feature racing jersey for under the $30 mark. The pre-shaped sleeves are a rare find. A lightweight main chassis offers moisture-wicking, the Alpinestars design flair and a range of cool designs.
- Optimised youth fit
- Lightweight wicking poly fabric
- Long cut tails for ride comfort
- Fitted cuffs
- Stretch fit comfort collar
Alpinestars Youth Glove-Raider
Alpinestars Raiders provide everything an entry level-competitive junior dirt bike rider could need. When learning how a dirt bike responds in various conditions and over different terrains, juniors need to feel the feedback a bike gives. This demands a glove that maintains grip, protects from impacts and yet is thin enough to allow the feel required.
The youth Raider ticks all of these boxes.
- Laser-cut perforations for breathability
- Reinforced thumb patch for hard-wearing wear it is needed
- Short cuff
- Synthetic suede palm
- Secure closure strap
- Easy pull-on design
- Stretch panels
Alpinestars Junior Dirt bike Boots
Where other manufacturers have a comprehensive collection of junior dirt bike helmets to offer, Alpinestars has chosen to manufacture an impressive array of junior motocross boots. The Tech 3 and Tech 7 designs are heirloom products, drawing directly from the successful adult ranges. Youth sizes are available in the tech 7 and both youth, and Pee Wee in the Tech 3.
The youth boot ranges are manufactured with the same quality materials as the adult boots. The designs are just as aggressive too. Young riders are bound to be impressed by both. Let’s see what each brings to the table.
Alpinestars Tech 3 Kids:
The Tech 3 Kids are the Pee Wee entry level boot. This is a product designed to be affordable, safe and comfortable. Creating a pee wee boot which is functional and comfortable, is a challenge. Alpinestars has delivered a product that looks exceptional and maintains a high level of performance despite its size.
- Leather and Suede upper for an authentic boot feel
- Graded zone instep for flexibility
- Side wrap outer sole for grip against obstacles
- Inner leg suede grip area for bike contact
- PU Shinguard
- Internal ankle protection via moulded cup
- Internal heel/toe protection
Alpinestars Tech 3 Youth:
The Tech 3 Youth draws down some extra features from its adult counterparts. As youth riders start to experience geared bikes, faster speeds and more significant impacts, the boot they wear must grow with them.
The Tech 3 youth is a brand new design that takes youth motocross boots to a new level. The inclusion of Hyper Extension protection example of this.
- Advanced closure inspired by the industry-leading Tech 10
- Internal/External structural design to reduce lateral and hyperextended movement
- Superior durability and rigidity
- Anti-bacterial innersole
- Injection moulding PU for abrasion and impact resistance
Alpinestars Tech 7S Youth
The Tech 7S Youth could well be the most advanced youth dirt bike boot available. The combination of advanced safety features and hi-tech materials result in a boot that is equally at home on the motocross track as it is on the trails. The Tech 7S Youth packs a powerful punch for its weight and class. Although not the cheapest boot in its class, the tech 7S will offer a level of protection and performance that is hard to beat.
- An advanced sole and inner construction for class-leading performance
- PU reinforced upper
- Extended microfibre gaiter for unparalleled protection
- Soft polyfoam ankle protection with shock absorption
- One-piece injection moulded foot shell with integrated steel shank
- Premium level safety certification to EN 13634:2010
Troy Lee Designs Kids Dirt Bike Gear
To round off our ultimate guide for kids motocross gear, we go stateside for another giant in the dirt bike world. Troy Lee Designs are renowned manufacturers of design-led, competitive kit. TLD’s youth range is both simple and capable. Pitching their paired down products at the intermediate rider level is an exciting choice from a marketing perspective. Their range is affordable, although not the cheapest; offering competition quality clothing for the discerning parent to kit out their brood.
Troy Lee Designs SE4 Youth Helmet
Troy Lee has a winning product in its SE4 adult helmet. The junior helmet is an exact scale down of the best selling model. An industry-leading 16 intake venting system with 6 exhausts make it one of the coolest on the market in more ways than one.
The polyacrylate shell construction features MIPS for rotational force management and weighs at 1300gms.
- Lightweight EPP chin bar
- Anatomical chin pads with the only youth system to offer emergency trackside removal
- Easy break plastic visor screws
Safety: DOT certified
Troy Lee Designs Junior Gear Set
A simple yet fully featured gear set range may seem limited, but the performance level more than compensates for the lack of choice. Pricing is keen too, with some variants delivering the cheapest options in our list.
Troy Lee Designs Youth GP Pants
- Two-way stretch panels at knees, calf and crotch
- Cowhide panels for extra comfort and durability
- Personal fit, ratchet closure waist
- Articulated design for increased range of movement
Troy Lee Designs GP Air Youth Jersey
- Stretch design v-profile collar
- Polyester construction with hi-tech mesh for airflow
- Extended tail
- Gel print to secure while riding
Troy Lee GP Youth gloves
- Clarino™ synthetic leather single layer palm
- Bio-foam protective panelling
- Silicone grip patterns
- Velcro and TPR cuff system
In conclusion of kids dirt bike gear
Good quality youth motocross gear does not have to cost the earth. The manufacturers we have featured here are proven at competition level, and yet will suit the budget of entry-level shoppers. When it comes to your kids, protection and comfort are paramount. PoInferioruality materials are a false economy as the rigours of off-road riding will soon destroy inferior products.
Poorly designed clothing will make learning uncomfortable and in the worst cases could even put kids off riding altogether. Any of the product ranges featured here provide the best possible clothing in terms of weight, performance and value.
Give your kids the start they deserve. Spending a little more now will prevent you from having to replace gear too soon, and will enhance the overall riding experience.
We will be back with more Motocross Advice soon. Until then, have fun out there!